Monday 30 June 2014

Dreams that come true

When I was younger I dreamed of writing a book one day. I thought of how proud I will be to see my name on the cover. I never actually thought of writing text books.

But here I am, many years later and extremely proud to have written more than half (Algebra part) of Gr.7, 8 and 9 Mathematics text books (Oxford University Press)!

I really suffered to get it done the second time around (with new CAPS) - I was highly pregnant, sick all the time and had a difficult toddler. Every time when I thought I was done, a new person will get involved in the project. Then the font or page size will change or even the content. So in the end I was so sick of writing I promised myself this is the LAST book I will ever write.

Until I got my royalties statement! It really blew me away. I felt so accomplished and proud at that moment - to think that I, a part time teacher with a small salary, can actually contribute to the family finances in a major way. :)

Now don't get too excited - it doesn't mean I can spend money left and right. I took a very wise decision to "fatten up" my emergency account and too put the rest in the boys' university account.

Maybe you think this is a bit far-fetched since Emje is only 3 and Jaco only 1 year old. However, if preschool costs more than R2 000 a month, I better save up for their tertiary education.

The most valuable lesson I have learnt is that one's salary and work circumstances can increase largely by having a better education. So even if Emje or Jaco decide one day not to study, I will at least have provided for that opportunity.

Now, looking at my bank account, and forgetting about all past suffering, I suddenly think:
"You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." [C. S. Lewis]

Maybe I will write another (or part of another) text book in future.

Or maybe my life will take a whole other turn and I will set new goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment